Newark Superintendent Cami Anderson Resigns, Effective July 8th

Anderson's statement:
Today, I am announcing that I will step down as Superintendent of the Newark Public Schools at the close of the academic year.  I have worked for four years to usher in critical improvements to the school system that have leveled the playing field for Newark students and paved the way for academic and social success.  I am extremely proud of what my team and I have collectively accomplished. 
We achieved a substantial increase in graduation rates – from 56% percent to 70% percent.  We created a merit based teacher compensation program, implemented a restorative justice program that has decreased suspensions by 37% percent, and we improved access to schools through universal enrollment. I am very grateful to everyone who has supported us in these efforts. 
Now, after twenty-one years in state control, Newark Public Schools are finally in a stable condition and can begin the return to local leadership. This is in large part due to aggressive initiatives and infrastructure improvements that have been implemented during the last four years.  With so much of the necessary—but sometimes controversial and difficult—change behind it, the Newark Public Schools will be well served by new leadership that can build on this foundation.  Having taken on the challenge of forging a new path, I am confident that others will be able to move the Newark Public Schools forward and reach new heights. 
I am a lifelong educator and will always stand up for justice for young people.  I look forward to continuing to serve students and communities. I hope my work in Newark will serve as an important roadmap for school districts across the country that are working to provide excellent schools for all students.
N.J. Commissioner David Hespe's statement:
“Superintendent Anderson has worked tirelessly over the last four years to implement a bold educational vision for the students and parents of Newark,” said Commissioner Hespe.  “Under Cami’s leadership, the Newark school district signed a landmark teacher’s contract, implemented One Newark, and increased flexibility and support in virtually every school in Newark.  We know that these positive educational reforms will continue to benefit the students and parents of Newark for years to come.”

Labels: